Serves 12. Can be made into smaller cupcake versions.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (Fan oven).
- Stir together 250g of self raising flour, 400g of caster sugar and 2 tsp of ground cinnamon in a large bowl. (For a healthier alternative 200g of sugar works just as well).
- Add 4 eggs and 350ml of vegetable oil and mix with an electric whisk.
- Once combined, mix 120g of chopped walnuts and 350g of grated carrots into the mixture.
- Pour into a round 23cm tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Note: depending on your oven and the size of the tin used, it may take longer to cook. Use a skewer or knife to see if the cake is wet in the middle.
Cream Cheese Topping: Blend 450g of FULL FAT cream cheese with 125g of soft cooking butter. I use Philadelphia but any full fat cream cheese will work here. Only blend for a short period of time, otherwise the topping will become too runny. Then add 250g of sieved icing sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract and refrigerate.
Once the cake has cooled down, ice the cake with the cream cheese topping using a palette knife. I decorated mine with edible mini carrots which can be found in many supermarkets.
Hand tip: If you have any left over cream cheese topping, place in a container and freeze. It will be ready to use straight away for your next creation!
Post your own photos and leave comments if you have given this recipe a try.